Abyei people reject the report on the Agok incident

Aneit market after arson attack in February 2022 | Credit: Deng Korchiek Ayom | AIRS 2022

Some people in Abyei have rejected an investigation report into the Aneit incident presented by the fact-finding committee to President Salva Kiir on Friday last week.

The committee revealed some findings of the conflict such as; the Aneit land survey in 2017, longstanding historical and social grievances between the two communities, and publications written by Hon. Bona Malwal and Abyei intellectuals including Hon. Dr. Francis Deng fueled the conflict and that SSPDF and UNISFA failed to protect civilians.

The committee recommended the delineation of the Abyei and Twic borders (Bahr el Ghazal and Kordofan), and the formation of a special court in Aneit led by a judge from the High Court to address the crimes and atrocities committed during the clashes, new robust security measures be put in place to manage the current and future security situation in the area and immediate commencement of inclusive dialogue that concludes in peace, reconciliation and healing conference in Aweil northern Bahr el Ghazal State.

People who spoke to Abyei FM rejected the report describing it as unjust and unfair.

Chief Bith Ajak Malual said he read the report and found it siding with Twic saying the committee was unfair since it started investigation in Turalei Twic county.

Diany Deng Agok said that the committee failed to determine causes and make acceptable recommendations. He asked the committee to resign and refer its mandate to the presidency to find a solution.

On his part, Abyei Youth Union Secretary-General, Bol Akuei said that the committee’s findings and recommendations will not solve the problem between Ngok and Twic because it made illogical recommendations.

Fighting between Ngok and Twic erupted in February when armed youth from Twic county of Warrap State opened fire in Aneit market.

The conflict has claimed dozens of lives, resulted to looting, destruction of properties, and displacement of thousands of families from their homes.

Early April the two communities signed a cessation of hostilities agreement in Aweil that didn’t hold due to repeated attacks on the road and in villages.